Frequently Asked Questions - Montenegro Yacht Registration
Can any national apply for the Montenegro boat registration?
Yes, the Montenegro registration is available for all the nationalities.
What paperwork is necessary to register the boat?
- Passport copy/ID card copy
- Company formation document (If applicable)
- Proof of ownership/Notarized bill of sale/Notarized sale purchase contract
- Deletion of the previous registration (If applicable)
- Certificate of insurance
- Builder’s certificate/Tonnage certificate
- CE declaration certificate
Can I register in Montenegro as a commercial or bareboat charter?
Yes, boat registration is also available for commercial boats in Montenegro. The process and requirements for registering a commercial boat are similar to those for registering a recreational boat, although there may be additional requirements, such as proof of commercial use and a certificate of compliance with safety standards, that must be met.
Do you accept paperwork in any language?
In Montenegro, the Maritime Safety Administration (MSA) typically requires that all boat registration paperwork be submitted in the Serbian language. Documents in all other languages must be translated by a certified translator.
What is the estimated time it will take for my boat to be registered in Montenegro?
Within 5-7 business days, we can give you a temporary registration (good for three months), and the original version will be sent to you within a month.
How does the registration document look like?
The certificate will be printed on high-quality, water-resistant paper and will include all the necessary information.
How long is the Montenegro registration valid for?
The registration is printed on top-notch, water-resistant paper and will contain all the relevant information if a paper format is desired. To deter forgery or tampering, the certificate may also have security components like holograms, watermarks, or specific printing methods.
Is inspection needed?
In Montenegro, recreational boats may be subject to inspection as part of the boat registration process. The inspection typically includes a review of the boat's safety equipment, such as life jackets, fire extinguishers, and navigation lights, as well as a review of the boat's structural integrity and stability.
The exact requirements for the inspection may vary based on the type and size of the boat and its intended use. Recreational boats may be subject to less extensive inspections than commercial vessels, but they must still meet minimum safety and environmental standards to be registered in Montenegro.
What flag do I need to fly on my boat once the registration is done?
Once your boat is registered in Montenegro, it is required to fly the Montenegro flag.
Do you help with the MMSI license?
Yes. The following documents are typically required to apply for an MMSI number in Montenegro:
- Completed MMSI application form
- Proof of ownership and registration of the vessel
- Evidence of radio operator qualifications (if applicable)
- Proof of insurance coverage for the vessel
- Payment of any relevant fees
What payment methods are accepted?
We accept all payment methods.
What kind of license is required to sail?
A valid International Certificate of Competence (ICC) or a local Montenegrin sailing license is required to sail in Montenegro.
How may the owner of a valid Montenegro registration be changed?
The owner of a valid Montenegrin registered vessel can be changed through a transfer of ownership process that involves the following steps:
- Signing a contract of sale between the current and new owner.
- Completing a change of ownership form and submitting it to the relevant maritime authority.
- Paying any relevant fees and taxes.
- Updating the registration documents with the new owner's information.
How can I cancel the current Montenegro registration?
To cancel the current Montenegrin registration of a vessel, the following steps should be followed:
- Provide evidence that the vessel has been sold or otherwise disposed of.
- Surrender the original registration certificate to the maritime authority.
- Complete any relevant cancellation forms and pay any associated fees.
Is Montenegro registration valid around the globe?
The registration is valid in Montenegrin waters only.